Cast Set For Spring Musical

Presented+are+the+leads+for+the+Woodbridge+High+School+musical+called+She+Loves+Me.+%28back+row+to+front+row%29+Caleb+Santos%2C+Jeffery+Smith%2C+Eric+McKenzie%2C+Jeremiah+Reodica%2C+Joe+Golden%2C+Daniel+Nebus%2C+James+Brown%2C+Samantha+Ferrante%2C+Maggie+Aube.+

Amber Spearnock

Presented are the leads for the Woodbridge High School musical called “She Loves Me”. (back row to front row) Caleb Santos, Jeffery Smith, Eric McKenzie, Jeremiah Reodica, Joe Golden, Daniel Nebus, James Brown, Samantha Ferrante, Maggie Aube.

Madison Carral, Reporter

In November, students auditioned for a role in the 2018 Woodbridge High School musical, She Loves Me. Staff conducted the auditions and selected the cast and crew in the following week.

English teacher Mr. Lynch not only directs the musical, but also runs the audition process. In addition to him, other staff members assist in choosing the cast as well. “The students audition for the full creative staff; not just myself but also Mr. T, music director Mr. Kohn, vocal director Lisa Romero, and dancing choreographer – which this year is beloved substitute teacher Ms. King,” said Mr. Lynch.

There are typically three days of auditions: a singing day, acting day, and dancing day. If staff wants to witness more of a student’s abilities, they are called back for a fourth day. According to technical director, Mr. Terrell, “We usually hold a ‘call back’ audition with several students asked to do another audition with their peers for a specific role.”

Junior Maggie Aube was one of the dozens of students to audition this year. “The most difficult part about the auditions was overcoming the stress and fear,” said Maggie. “It’s always scary to try out for something and put yourself in that vulnerable position.”

When conducting auditions, the staff agrees that assigning students official roles is challenging. “The most difficult part is not being able to give everyone who tries out a part. Making the cuts is awful, and having people’s feelings hurt, but I have to look at what is best for the overall show,” said Mr. Lynch.

The choice musical, She Loves Me, influenced the way students were cast. “He [Mr. Lynch] was definitely looking for students who could ‘sell’ that romantic ‘dreaminess’ in acting and singing and who could move in a ‘classic’ style.” said Mr. Terrell.

There were eight lead roles available to students this year. The following students received such:

1. Maggie Aube (Junior) as Amalia Balash
  2. Jeremiah Reodica (Senior) as Georg Nowack
  3. Samantha Ferrante (Senior) as Ilona Ritter
  4. Eric McKenzie (Junior) as Steven Kodaly
  5. Jeff Smith (Senior) as Ladislav Sipos
  6. Daniel Nebus (Sophmore) as Arpad Lazlo
  7. James Brown (Senior) as Mr. Maraczek
  8. Caleb Santos (Senior) as Headwaiter

The opening night for She Loves Me is on Thursday, March 22nd. Following shows are on March 23rd and 24th in the evening, and 25th for a Sunday matinee.