WHS Welcomes New Staff Member Ms. Joao

Madison Carral

Ms .Joao is a new staff member at WHS. She started working in the township previously being an SAC before coming to WHS.

Brianna De Jesus, Editor

Ms. Joao is a new staff member at Woodbridge High School. Although this is her first year teaching here, she has taught in 3 other schools within Woodbridge Township. She is the student assistance counselor (SAC) for WHS. As an SAC, she works to support the entire student community instead of being assigned a caseload of students. Her goal is to work with students and families to address social-emotional issues that may affect a students school work.  

Barron Perspective: What made you want to become a counselor?
Ms. Joao: Before becoming a school counselor I worked as a teacher and I used to always have my students come up to me and talk to me about what was going on, but I was never able to help them outside of my teacher role. I decided to become a counselor so I could help the students more and on a different level.

BP: Where were you prior to WHS?
MJ: Prior to WHS I was the student assistance counselor at Woodbridge Middle, Fords Middle and Iselin Middle. Prior to that I was the student assistance counselor in Clifton, NJ.

BP: What made you apply for this job?
MJ: I wanted to work with the high school aged students and I wanted to be in one building all week.

BP: What do you look forward to this year within the school?
MJ: I look forward to being a constant support system to many of our students and I look forward to getting to know our students and guiding them in the right direction!

BP: What do you like about the school so far?
MJ: I love it here so far. The staff and students are great! I especially like how all of the students here are so unique and so personable.

BP: What are your hobbies outside of school?
MJ: I like to spend time with my daughter (5 months old) and my husband. I like to travel and I love to shop.

BP: What do you do to prepare for the school day?
MJ: There is really no preparing as I never really know what I am going to be facing that day, so I just grab my cup of Dunkin iced coffee and I’m ready.

BP: What does your school day consists of?
MJ: It pretty much changes on a daily basis, but for the most part I spend a majority of my day talking to students. Students who are struggling with a specific issue, students who may be feeling sad or anxious, students who are worried about their friends, etc.

BP: Is there anything you would like to add?
MJ: I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone, my office is room 221 ( outside of the A.C.E. room ) stop by and say HI!