Autism Awareness Week Inspires the Barron Family

Posters regarding Autism Awareness Week were posted all over the school. Students and Teachers were seen wearing “In A World Where You Can Be Anything, Be Kind.”

Brianna De Jesus, Editor

“In a world where you can be anything, be kind.” This phrase has been the slogan for Woodbridge High School’s Autism Awareness Week.

WHS Autism Awareness Week, which ran from April 1st-5th, is a week where each day has been dedicated to different themes of dress, from favorite team jersey to teacher look-alike day. Setting aside the time towards autism awareness allows people to truly appreciate the contributions.

In Woodbridge Township, there are only two schools that offer special education programs: Colonia Middle School and WHS. Woodbridge High School offers three classes, one truly dedicated to autistic learners.

In charge of that class is Ms. Ashley Daly. She has been a special educator for 10 years in Woodbridge Township. Before Ms. Daly got a job in Woodbridge, she worked as a paraprofessional at the Warren Development Learning Center where she “was able to gain the knowledge and experience of working with students of all disabilities.”

Although WHS has special education classes dedicated to special ed. learners, there are few classes that are inclusive. Ms. Daly commented on what she feels WHS should do to make the school environment more welcoming for students who classify as Autistic.

“Woodbridge High School should promote inclusion of all students within the educational environment.  Autism awareness raises the idea of promoting acceptance and inclusion among everyone and the students in our school should be aware of how important this is.”

At Woodbridge High School, students who are classified as Autistic, can either qualify under IEP or 504 or both. IEB is a type of special education law which is offered through 12th grade. As for the 504, is a under the Civil Rights- Rehabilitation Act of 1973 which is provided from school, work, and transferred to college.

The BP interviewed Special Educator Mr. McCabe who teaches a vocational program at WHS, When asked how he feels students at WHS treat special ed students he responded saying, “The GenEd (general education) population is really respectful. It gives a heart warming feeling.”

In charge of the Special Education Department was Vice Principle Chiera. He has worked in Special Education for 16 years. “I feel that it is very important that our entire staff and student body are aware of what Autism, causes, and general information regarding Autism.”

Although the week came to an end, Autism Awareness is celebrated all over the world proving that despite our differences we are all alike.