Boys Volleyball Sets Up For Great Season

The boys’ volleyball team warms up for a scrimmage against Piscataway. The Barrons worked hard in the preseason with intentions of having a successful regular season.

Meaghan Motz, Reporter

The Woodbridge High School boys’ volleyball season has officially begun as of April 1st. With many new and returning players, the team is on the road to a successful season.

Last year, the Barrons finished their season with a winning record of 11-8 and made the state tournament. However, head coach Coach Jacovinich is always looking for improvement.

Jacovinich is on his third season coaching the boy’s volleyball team. This year, he has set high expectations for the group. “I would like to be in the mix for our first White Division title at the end of the season. In addition, I would like us to make the state tournament for the third straight season,” said Jacovinich.

Furthermore, the players themselves have their own goals and expectations for the year. “I expect the team to have good communication and play one-hundred percent at all times,” said senior Hernan Porres. In agreement, junior and varsity player Zachary Wenzel expresses the same hope for success. “My expectations for our team are to get to state games and win states overall,” he said.

The volleyball team practices every day and have begun scrimmages, but the players have also worked hard during the offseason to prepare. Both Hernan and Zachary went to the Woodbridge Community Center once a week to get as ready as possible.

“I’m very excited to see what this season has in store for me and, with it being my first year on varsity, I am ready for the challenge this year,” said Zachary Wenzel.

Despite the wins, losses, and challenges faced, the members of the volleyball team have all developed a close bond while playing together. They love playing with returning players, but also love welcoming new ones.

“Throughout my years of playing here at WHS,” said Hernan, “We’ve developed a type of family bond. Even on the court most of us know what the next person’s move is going to be because we’ve played together for so long.”

Coach Jacovinich is not only concerned with how his team is performing in the game but also outside in the real world. “I chose to coach volleyball because it is a very fun and intense sport. It also involves a lot of teamwork and communication which I think are essential for our student-athletes to learn once they get out into the real world,” he said.

With great leadership from Coach Jacovinich as well as senior players, the volleyball team is looking forward to what they hope will be a winning season.