NJSLA Testing Works to Set WHS Students Up for Success

Samantha Tolentino

Students can access practice tests online to prepare for their NJSLA tests. Testing will take place on December 17th through the 20th.

Samantha Tolentino, Reporter

Woodbridge High School prepares for the New Jersey Student Learning Assessment (NJSLA) as it approaches. Those who are in English 9 and 10 classes will take the English Language Arts NJSLA and those enrolled in Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry will partake in the Mathematics NJSLA.

From December 17th until the 20th, freshmen and sophomores are required to take the NJSLA tests. Teachers are trying to encourage their students in case the State removes those alternate assessments, at least passing the NJSLAT will guarantee them meeting the graduation requirement. 

Along with the help from guidance counselors, the Head of the Guidance department, Mr. Kane has been in charge of organizing the NJSLA testing for Woodbridge High students since the 2013 school year. He posts practice tests online for teachers to help in administering and to use for preparing their students.

“Students should take these tests seriously because as of right now it is a testing graduation requirement in English and Math. This could be one way of getting to that requirement,” Mr. Kane said.

AP Language and 10th grade English teacher Mr. Switek has been teaching at Woodbridge High School for 18 years. Ms. Taranto has been teaching mathematics in Woodbridge Township for 13 years and is in her 5th year of teaching at Woodbridge High School. Along with being the Head of the Math Department, she teaches Geometry R and Calculus C.

Both prepare their students by frequently showing them model questions, the format, and making sure that they have their necessary supplies for test taking. The curriculum provides NJSLA released questions for the students.

Ms. Taranto said, “The significance of testing for math is that mathematics is very applicable to the real world. Most careers are going to require students to take a math class so it’s very important that they do do well on it. There are alternate assessments that the students can take but if they are proficient on this test, they don’t have to worry them about the alternate assessments.”

Sophomore, McKenna Freese thinks that testing is necessary so that students have the knowledge that they need in the real world. She said, “It is important to take these tests seriously because someday you’ll need to take it to graduate.”

The English and Math department are certain that each student will perform to the best of their ability. They all hope that the students try their best and take it seriously.