Students Juggle School, Home Responsibilities During COVID-19

Lauren Carter, Reporter

Students at Woodbridge High School are  juggling the responsibilities of their home lives with virtual learning due to the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. 

Gia Dominguez, an 18 year-old senior at Woodbridge High School, has to balance home responsibilities with virtual learning. “I watch my three year-old niece a few days during the week which can get hard at times, but I am really grateful that I’ve been able to spend this extra time with her that I wouldn’t usually have,” she said.

Dominguez watches her niece because her brother’s girlfriend works during the day.

Dominguez also works at a Trampoline park. When it comes to online learning and her job, Dominguez said she’s found it “easy to balance the two.” 

She also plays softball throughout the year and said that the sport actually helps her grades because she needs to “make sure [her work] is all completed before games and practices.” The athletic obligation keeps her in line.

Ms. João, Woodbridge High School’s Student Assistance Counselor, has had a plethora of students come to her and voice their concerns regarding managing life’s responsibilities and school.

“Many students found themselves failing various courses for the 1st marking period. I think for a lot of us we were trying to juggle too many things at once and take on too many tasks. For a lot of our students our grades seemed to have suffered,” she said.

In the midst of a global pandemic, students are attempting to maintain a balance between school and home responsibilities. In doing so, Ms. João wants everyone to know that your counselors are here, and so is admin. Reach out to them if you need help or support. It is important for students to know that they aren’t alone.