Barrons Options After High School

Jacob Torres, Reporter

Should seniors go to trade school, military or college in the next coming months? Some people may be unsure of the benefits of each option. 

The most common option for further learning is college, with many colleges around the country that offer programs in many different fields.

Mrs. Ferrara, a guidance counselor at Woodbridge High School said “ There are many jobs that require a college degree and that would be considered when applying or searching for positions.” 

College will allow you to get more white collar jobs with the types of programs they offer.

But if you are looking for more blue collar, hands on, working jobs you may want to look at trade school. Along with college, there are numerous schools, with most having programs to go straight into the workforce from trade school.

Mr. Hein, a careers and financial literacy teacher at WHS, said, “…grade school offers a curriculum that is more focused on specific job skills and would be quicker than a four year degree.” 

“There are many local trade schools. Some of the most popular are Lincoln Tech and Central Career School” said Mrs. Ferrara.

The option of staying local will allow people to have that home stability while they prepare for the working world.

Since the high success rate of obtaining a job right out of trade school people, now see that they have more than the one option of going to college. 

Others may look towards the option of joining a branch of the military which has benefits and can even allow you to go to college for free.

Mrs. Ferrara states, “The military offers many benefits and provides experience for many jobs.  Employers look highly upon military service because it requires dedication, leadership and many other skills that are vital in the workforce.”

As well as the option to go to an academy and come out and immediately become an officer, with higher pay and better living conditions.

The service would allow you to get labor jobs or sentinel jobs with them having both options and you could carry that experience into life further down the line.