Woodbridge High Welcomes Mr. Katz

Savannah Alamo

Mr. Katz will teach at WHS for the first semester.

Michael Thomas, Senior Editor

For the first semester, Woodbridge High Schoolers will see a new face in its halls, CCRA and Web Google instructor Mr. Katz.

To get an insight into Mr. Katz’s first few days at WHS, his past teaching experiences, his hopes for the school year, and more, the Barron Perspective reached out to him for closure.

Barron Perspective: Where are you from?

Mr. Katz: I currently live in Cranford, but grew up in Union, [New Jersey].

BP: When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?

MK: I wanted to be a professional football player and lawyer.

BP: Where did you attend school before college?

MK: I attended Union High School.

BP: What made you want to be a teacher and when did you realize this?

MK: I realized when I was in college that I wanted to stay involved with athletics through coaching and I liked working with kids. Thus, I felt that going into education would enable [me] to do both.

BP: What college did you attend? What was your major? What activities did you enjoy while there and why?

MK: I attended Rutgers University and Montclair State University. I majored in Management Information Systems. I was a member of the football team at both schools.

BP: What is your previous teaching experience, if any?

MK: I have taught for the past 24 years. The last 24 at Union High School.

BP: What classes are you currently teaching and what will you be teaching next semester?

MK: I currently teach CCRA and Web Google. Next semester I will be at JFK.

BP: How were your first few days of the school year at Woodbridge High School? What do you like about WHS? 

MK: My [first] few days have been really awesome! The faculty and staff have welcomed me with open arms and have really been helpful in getting me acquainted with how things work here. In addition, the students I have encountered have been very friendly and respectful. What I like about WHS is the pride the students and faculty have about our school. There seems to be a lot of school spirit and pride in their sports teams.

BP: Are you involved in any extracurricular activities, if so, what and why?

MK: Currently I am not involved in any [extracurriculars]. However, I have coached varsity football for 24 years at several top high school programs and in college as well.

BP: How do you plan on making this a good school year?

MK: My plan for making this a great year is by showing the students that I care about their success and here to help them whenever possible.

BP: What are you looking forward to this school year and why?

MK: I am looking forward to all the challenges that come with a new workplace and teaching new courses, it is an exciting opportunity after being at my previous district for [fifteen] years.

BP: What hobbies do you enjoy outside of school?

MK: I enjoy working out, which I do every day prior to school. I also enjoy watching my own children participate in sports and spending time with my family.

BP: Is there anything else you’d like to add?

MK: I’m really excited to be a part of the WHS family and look forward to getting to know the students who take my courses.

To learn more about new staff members at WHS, see the Perspectives other “New Faces at WHS” articles.