Woodbridge High School Welcomes First Sergeant Behnke

Savannah Alamo

First Sergeant Behnke becomes a new edition to the JROTC program!

JROTC has a new edition to its program, Senior Army Instructor (SAI), First Sergeant Joseph Behnke. He runs both Let 1 and Let classes within the JROTC program.

Barron Perspective (BP): When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?
First Sergeant (1SG) Behnke: I always wanted to be a Soldier and achieved my goal when I joined the Army after high school.

BP: Where did you attend school before college?
1SG Behnke: I served in the Active Army.

BP: What made you want to be a teacher, and when did you realize this?
1SG Behnke: As I approached my retirement from the Army, I felt I could still make an impact with young adults, and teaching JROTC allows me to continue to develop leaders with the critical thinking skills needed to be successful in life.

BP: What college did you attend? What was your major? What activities did you enjoy while there and why?
1SG Behnke: I attended Excelsior University as I served in the Army. Major Liberal Arts.

BP: What is your previous teaching experience, if any?
1SG Behnke: I have no prior teaching experience.

BP: What classes are you currently teaching, and what will you be teaching next semester?
1SG Behnke: I teach Let 1 and Let 2 JROTC classes

BP: How were your first few days of the school year at Woodbridge High School?
1SG Behnke: It’s been a great start to the school year, as I continue to meet new teachers and students in the school.

BP: What do you like about WHS?
1SG Behnke: I like the sense of community in the school and the dedication of the teachers and staff to educating the students of WHS.

BP: How do you plan on making this a good school year?
1SG Behnke: I plan on getting all of the cadets involved in the JROTC program and working to develop the archery team.

BP: What are you looking forward to this school year and why?
1SG Behnke: I look forward to working with COL Parker and rebuilding the JROTC program to the levels before the pandemic.

BP: What hobbies do you enjoy outside of school?
1SG Behnke: I enjoy spending time with my family and taking them to soccer and swim practices.

BP: Is there anything else you’d like to add?
1SG Behnke: I would like to add that I am very excited to be a part of the Barron JROTC battalion and WHS family.