Scheduling Window Nears End for 2016-2017 School Year

by Amanda Liska

With the end of the school year quickly approaching, the opportunity for students to revise their schedules for next year is nearing a close. Luckily, Woodbridge High School’s Guidance Department has all the information students need to take advantage of their education through scheduling requests.

If the point of an education is to prepare students for college or a career, then students should look into the electives offered each semester to explore their interests. The Guidance tab of the school’s website will inform students what classes they will need to take as graduation requirements.

It’s also advised that students begin thinking about their future, whether that may mean attending college or entering the workforce.

Once students know what they intend to study in college, they should consider exploring that subject, along with their other interests, during their senior year. “Even if [students] know what they want to major in, it’s always good to explore other areas at the same time,” said guidance counselor Ms. Roczey.

Select AP courses are also available to those looking for a more challenging class, and for a leg up on college credit. Psychology, for example, is an informative course to take that touches almost all careers.

If any student is unsure about what electives to take, they can talk to their guidance counselor for advice. Ms. Ferrara, one of the school’s counselors, said, “My best advice to a student, if they are unsure, is to talk with us in guidance[…]”

While each WHS guidance counselor has an informational Twitter account, there are also other school-run accounts with information on available classes, including Class at a Glance, a resource that goes into further detail about the electives at Woodbridge High School.

Students who are looking to make a change should do so soon by scheduling an appointment with their guidance counselor. According to Mr. Kane, the guidance chairperson, “If you want to change your next year requests, you have until the end of the school year. Once summer comes, there are no more class changes.”

Guidance: @WHSguidancebarrons

Class at a Glance: @classataglance