Barrons Boys’ Soccer Plays for a Cause

by Brittany Sa

The Varsity Boys' Soccer team, along with Coaches Kaelber, Clarke, and Jago, pose with Ben Lepisto (middle, in hat) after the team's annual Cancer Awareness game. The team tied JFK, 1-1. (Credit: Brittany Sa)
The Varsity Boys’ Soccer team, along with Coaches Kaelber, Clarke, and Jago, pose with Ben Lepisto (middle, in hat) after the team’s annual Cancer Awareness game. The team tied JFK, 1-1. (Credit: Brittany Sa)

On October 1st, the Varsity Boys’ Soccer Team played John F. Kennedy Memorial High School at home in an effort to avenge their loss at the beginning of the season.

But the game wasn’t only about redemption: it was their annual Cancer Awareness game, and the beneficiary was sophomore Ben Lepisto, who was diagnosed last year with medulloblastoma, a common type of pediatric brain tumor.

Upon his diagnosis, Ben, was no longer able to participate in Woodbridge High School athletics, where he played soccer and baseball, and ran track. Although he watched from the sidelines, Coach Clarke named Ben honorary team captain for the event.

Coach Clarke said the game was important because, “Everyone in our program realizes how fortunate they are to be able to play not just soccer, but any sport. Knowing that Ben has been unable to participate in sports recently, we wanted to show him that we are with him in his battle, albeit, on the field.”

The game, which ended in a tie, was successful in raising cancer awareness: the soccer program raised $500 for Barrons for Ben, as well as an additional $480 in Barrons for Ben t-shirts worn during the game.

“To me, [this Cancer Awareness game] showed how committed Woodbridge High School is to its students, and how important the school is to the community,” Coach Clarke said. “Everyone is helping Ben with his battle.”

For their part, JFK also donated to Barrons for Ben, and when the game was over, it didn’t matter that it ended in a tie. What mattered was how the players came together on the pitch for a worthy cause.

Boys,” Coach Clarke said, “remember, we are not playing to play. We are here to play for Ben.”