• Last Chance to Buy Prom Tickets TODAY in the Gym Foyer During All Lunches
  • Day of Dialouge to be Held Today, April 17th
  • Quill and Scroll Inducts New Members Today

From Barron to Princeton Tiger

by Katie Forbes

Victoria Gasparowicz poses with her mother and father at Princeton University during Parents' Weekend.
    Victoria Gasparowicz poses with her mother and father at Princeton University during Parents’ Weekend.

Victoria Gasparowicz graduated from Woodbridge High School as the valedictorian of the class of 2015. Currently, she is enrolled at Princeton University where she is wrapping up her freshman year.

Barron Perspective: What is your major?
    Victoria Gasparowicz: I am undecided, but am considering majors like Sociology, Spanish and Portuguese, or Psychology.

BP: What clubs were you in at WHS?
    VG: I was in Freshmen Mentors, Social Justice Club, Christian Club, International Culture Club, Spanish Honor Society, National Honor Society, Future Business Leaders of America, Ecology Club, and Paddleball Club (while it still reigned)! I also did a season of Tennis!

BP: What is your best WHS memory?
    VG: It is hard to pick a favorite memory; I have many many favorites. But a very bittersweet memory is the night of graduation, when most students of the class of 2015 got together for Project Graduation to have a last “hurrah.” Bonding over endless food, joining little dance circles, running around like elementary school kids, really helped encompass all the sweet and happy things that I got to experience in my K-12 education. It was the last time I spent time with the people I had been learning with for so many years. I still laugh with people over the memories from that fun night, like that very strange hypnotist!

BP: What teacher(s) had a lasting impact on you and why?
    VG: Every single one of my high school teachers has had a lasting impact on me! I can’t help but smile at memories I have with so many multi-dimensional teachers of Woodbridge High School. Some teachers helped me discover what not to major in, some teachers helped keep me focused on doing my best. I felt like I could open up to some teachers, which was really special. Above all, the relationships I had with some of my teachers helped shape my high school career, and helped me get to where I am today. Thank you all!

BP: What aspects of high school best prepared you for college?
    VG: Unfortunately, I did not get many hours of sleep a night in high school because of all the homework, studying, and extracurricular activities I was involved in. In college, I have had to actively make time for sleep. High school helped get me in the mindset of trying to balance academic, social, and extracurricular activities, as well as find time for rest!

BP: What is one thing you wish you had done in high school but never did?
    VG: Honestly, this question has taken me the longest to answer, and I’ve come to the conclusion I really did all I could while in high school. If I had more time, I would have loved to be a part of the Swim Team or School Play because I knew some really cool people involved in those activities.

BP: How has your idea of success changed from when you were in high school?
    VG: In high school, my idea of success was doing everything to make my family proud and happy. Success meant making my parents’ decision to move to the United States worth all of their sacrifices. After contemplating my calling for a long time, I think being successful is just figuring and living out what God is calling me to do. If I am in that place, I know my family will be proud and we all will be content because God wouldn’t have it any other way.

BP: What is your favorite part of college?
    VG: My favorite part of college has been the experiences with professors I’ve had. Although it’s been scary to talk to some of them one on one, every time I have spoken to them I’ve been surprised how very kind, down-to-earth they are. I have found my professors to be committed to breaking information down for me, without making me feel like they are talking down to me. I like they are rooting for me! That is extremely motivating.

BP: What are your plans after college?
    VG: Life after college is far, far away! I will vaguely answer that I hope I can travel the world with my sister, Natalie.

BP: What advice do you have for current WHS students?
    VG: My advice for current WHS students is to work hard and enjoy every moment. High quality school is not picture-perfect. For me it was a lot of sleepless nights and exhaustion from pushing myself to do my best. At the same time, there were also a lot of special moments. For example, experiences like laughing at the of Driver’s Ed, counting down the minutes of an early dismissal, showing up to a school event to cheer on your friends! It’s hard to enjoy every moment—particularly the challenging ones—but it’s all part of the journey!