WHS Says Goodbye to Hockey, Hello to Snowball

Giovanni Santiago, Reporter

Mr. Lottmann recently instituted Yukigassen, competitive snowball team to replace the school’s hockey team.

Due to the lack of funding and players for the WHS hockey team, the Woodbridge High School Athletic Director, Mr. Ward, proposed the idea for a competitive snowball team. “I thought it was a good idea because snow costs a lot less than renting out the Woodbridge Community Center,” he said. Not long after, Mr. Lottman agreed to allow this proposal to go into effect.

Mr. Ward is excited about this new decision. “Even though there’s not many teams in our conference, it’s still going to be a stacked and competitive division,” he said. The division has teams from Middlesex County as well as teams all across the state. The conference also includes township rival Ross Street Elementary School.   

Yukigassen originates from Japan and is played with seven players on each team. Special equipment such as helmets and chest protectors will be bought for the team. The team’s coach has not been announced.

This decision by Mr. Lottmann does have its uncertainties. In the event of no snow, Mr. Lottman  said “We’ll do whatever we have to do. If we have to fly our team out to Alaska, then so be it.”

Not everyone in the school shares Mr. Lottmann and Mr. Ward’s enthusiasm. A large amount of the students and teachers thought that it was an idiotic idea. The self-proclaimed biggest fan of Woodbridge High School Hockey, Jack Golden, is willing to boycott the decision along with many members of the hockey team. “No one cares about snowball,” he said,  “our hockey team gives students many more opportunities than throwing snow does.”

Many people are eager for this sport to begin while others are sure that the administration will regret their decision. Either way, it will be interesting to see the outcome of this unexpected change.

The first season is set to start in December of 2018. Meetings for information and tryout dates will be held in early November according to administration. Anyone interested will be welcomed.