Ms. King Recalls Founding of Woodbridge Township

Ms.+King+substitute+teaches+a+U.S.+History+course+at+WHS+for+her+253rd+year+in+a+row.+Ms.+King+recalled+the+good+ol+days+when+George+Washington+passed+through+to+fight+in+the+Revolutionary+War.+

Ms. King substitute teaches a U.S. History course at WHS for her 253rd year in a row. Ms. King recalled the good ol’ days when George Washington passed through to fight in the Revolutionary War.

As Woodbridge Township celebrates its 350th anniversary this year, one of Woodbridge High School’s most familiar faces remembers it like it was yesterday.

Ms. King, a well-known substitute teacher at Woodbridge High School, was actually alive at the founding of the township and even once said to founder Reverend John Woodbridge, “Good morning, my angel.” Recently, she substitute taught a history course and shared her stories with the students.

“It was quite some time ago when I got my first telegram to come in to substitute at the original Woodbridge High School, which is now the middle school,” Ms. King said. “It’s just crazy how times have changed.”

“In fact, the first class I substituted was at School #1, which is now the Board of Education building. The students had to clap the erasers outside at the end of the day, and we told time by sundial,” she said.

“Everything looked quite different back then than it does today. In fact, everything looks so much more beautiful,” Ms. King said. “My angels who helped build this town have done an excellent job! Woodbridge Township has really ‘glowed up’ as my darlings in the high school say!”

“I even remember the first anniversary of the town. It was amazing to see all of those beautiful people come together on Main Street to celebrate. Of course, then it was only a dirt road, and it took weeks to spread the word from farm to farm, but still, so many beautiful faces who survived that first winter,” said Ms. King.

The students left the history class that day with a newfound respect for Ms. King and for the history of Woodbridge Township. “We are so lucky to have Ms. King as a living source of the Township’s past,” said sophomore Geoff Golden.