SOS Clubs “Home for the Holidays” Event Rehomes Several Foster Animals

Samantha Pressey

During last year’s fall semester, the SOS (Save Our Strays) Club worked to create ideas for events they could host here at Woodbridge High School. With club advisor Mr. Switek’s help, they pursued contact with a foundation called Louie’s Legacy looking to host adoption events at New Jersey High Schools and held their very first event in the school’s gymnasium. It was an immediate success and became a seasonal event for our school. On Saturday, November 18, the club was able to hold their first adoption event of this school year.

“ Anytime I can interact with adoptable animals it is one of my favorite things” said Mr.Switek 

When it comes to planning these events a lot of hard work from both the club and the foundation is contributed. Before the very first event Louie’s Legacy reached out to Woodbridge High School as well as other schools in the New Jersey area in hopes that one was interested in hosting an adoption event. With our school having their very own club that’s goal is to support shelters, Mr. Switek responded almost immediately to make the adoption event possible. Now foster families of adoptable dogs as well as high school students volunteering come together twice a year to set up and adopt out animals from our gymnasium

“Last year we were contacted by the head of Louie’s Legacy… we arranged for the gym to be rented out without a fee because we hosted the event, otherwise an outside organization would have had to pay.” responded Mr. Switek when asked about the start of these adoption events. 

Thanks to our school having their very own club dedicated to this cause many members devoted their Saturday to help set up and clean up during this event. This year members scattered the gym helping set up cages and bringing in puppies. During the event they were quick to help clean messes and inform interested individuals on the animals being adopted out. For the very first time club members also set up a hot chocolate stand where they served warm cups of coco and contributed all of the proceeds to local animal shelters. 

“I love being a volunteer at these events, I get to see a lot of dog’s and cats and of course we have to do a lot of clean ups sometimes but that’s just part of the work.” said Jazilien Vargas, Co-President of the SOS Club. 

The event truly would not have been possible without the Louie’s Legacy foundation. They work endlessly to rescue and adopt out both dogs and cats. The foundation is known as a foster foundation meaning they do not source from a shelter. The founder works to rescue animals from puppy mills, kill shelters, etc and members volunteer to foster said animals and get them adopted. Adoption events like the one held on November 18 make it possible for foundations just like Louie’s Legacy to take in as many animals as they can and find them furever homes. 

These adoption events have proved to be a continuous success. At the most recent event and the other two held before a line was seen reaching throughout the gym foyer and out of the door full of eccentric families eager to find a forever pet. Last year’s winter event helped over 40 animals find homes and the event held in the spring had just about the same amount of success. Even former principal Dr. Lottman went home with a new furry friend for his family. This year’s “Home for the Holidays” event helped so many dogs and cats find families just in time for the holidays. 

“I love these events, watching these animals get forever homes is just amazing because only weeks ago they were just somebody’s discarded animal and now they are somebody’s prized family member.” said Emily, founder of the Louie’s Legacy foundation.

View Comments (1)