The Exorcist: Believer Hits Theaters

A favorite horror franchise adds a new chapter.
The Exorcist: Believer hit theaters on October 6, 2023.
Scream Horror Magazine

On December 26th, 1973, a new scary movie came out named The Exorcist. The movie is about a single mother’s struggle to save her daughter from a mysterious ailment, later revealed to be demonic possession, so she enlists the help of two Roman Catholic priests who attempt to perform an exorcism.

The Exorcist was rated 78% on Tomatometer and 87% Audience Score. Four years later, The Exorcist 2: The Heretic came out, which is about a once possessed teenage girl finding out the demon still lurks in her. 13 years later The Exorcist Three came out and this movie is based on the 1983 novel “Legion.”

14 years later, a new Exorcist movie came out, Exorcist: The Beginning. This one is about a priest being haunted by his experiences in World War ll when occupying Nazi troops forced him to be complicit in their atrocities. In the aftermath, he renounced his faith and began working as an archaeologist. He travels to Kenya, where a fifth-century Byzantine church holds ancient relics. There he encounters Sarah, a doctor and concentration camp survivor. The strange occurrences that soon begin reunite him with the evil he sought to escape. Horror fans did not like this movie, they said this was the worst Exorcist movie out of the whole series, they said this movie is filled with “obnoxious jump scares” and “horrible film quality” 

A year later, Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist was released. This movie wasn’t as bad as the 2004 movie Exorcist: The Beginning but it wasn’t as good as the first-ever Exorcist movie released 32 years ago.

The Exorcist: Believer

On October 6th, 2023 to start off the Halloween season, The Exorcist: Believer was released.

This movie is about “a father named Victor who is worried when his daughter Angela and her friend Katherine show signs of demonic possession. It unleashes a chain of events that forces single father Victor Fielding to confront the nadir of evil. Terrified and desperate, he seeks out Chris MacNeil, the only person alive who’s witnessed anything like it before.”

This new Exorcist movie is a good sequel to the original movie. Critics say it’s not as scary as the original but it’s better than the last two movies. The movie had good jump scares and the storyline made sense. Critics overall have given this movie a 7/10 which is above average and they said it was an amazing way to start off October.