Metro Boomin to Produce New Alma Mater

American record producer Metro Boomin has accepted an offer to produce Woodbridge High School’s new Alma Mater.
Metro Boomin photographed in the WHS gym.
Kevin Modeszto

American record producer Metro Boomin has accepted an offer to produce a new rendition of Woodbridge High School’s Alma Mater. It will be released on Friday, April 5 at 7:50 a.m. on all music platforms. There will also be a live performance of the song in our auditorium on the same day at 2 p.m.

The lead vocalist on the track is Drake, with Kendrick Lamar having his own featured verse. Drake and Lamar have successfully collaborated in the past. One of Lamar’s most popular songs, “Poetic Justice,” featured Drake. This is the first time either of them has made a high school anthem.

Drake’s Involvement

When asked why he wanted to be the lead singer, Drake said, “The lyrics really moved me. When the song said ‘Where we spent such happy hours, In work and pleasure gay’ I really felt that.”

Drake asked Lamar to be part of the production and Kendrick accepted, but later he was unpleasantly surprised to find out it was a school song.

“Drake is a silly guy. He’s always getting up to some cartoonish shenanigans and hijinks so he thought it would be funny if he surprised me with this Alma Mater thing. I tried to quit but it’s too late to back out,” said Lamar.

Having Metro Boomin produce the new anthem was an unexpected decision from administration because the original version sounds classical while Boomin specializes in the hip-hop genre. The new song will have the same lyrics but a faster melody and beat. It will have a sound similar to some of his popular songs, like “Superhero” and “Ric Flair Drip”.

Mr. Osborne suggested that Metro Boomin renovate the song because he strongly supports his music. 

“I’d go as far as saying I’m Metro’s number one fan,” said Osborne when asked. “The obsession started in 2018 when he dropped ‘Space Cadet’. Ever since then, I knew I wanted him to represent WHS”.