WHS Assigns Personal Cockroaches to Assist Struggling Students

Woodbridge+students+teams+up+with+the+roaches.+

Woodbridge students teams up with the roaches.

andreweditor

By Allise Paredes

Woodbridge High School is the first high schools in the district to introduce the “Roach for a Student” program, which pairs students with roaches who are willing to help and motivate them get through high school.

Principal Mr. Lottman said, “I am so glad to have brought this program to our students. I think that it will benefit them in the long run.”

The roaches that have offered to help out happen to live under the school. Woodbridge Township has offered to not fumigate the crawl space beneath the school as payment for their services.

“Working with the WHS staff and the students has made me feel wanted in the world. I see that I have the potential to make these children excel,” said Brian Roacherson, chief roach.

At first, most of the students felt that it wasn’t sanitary or pleasant for the roaches to be here. “I was not very pleased hearing that I would be assigned a personal roach,” junior Stephanie Ramos said. “It was the most horrific thing that I have ever heard, but once I got to know Ben, he really opened my eyes to new ways of learning and he taught me to not judge a book by its cover.”

Ben Cocksberg, Ramos’ personal roach, said, “I loved working with Stephanie. She is a bright girl who has a great life ahead of her. She learned to accept me for me. She is also so smart. She just needs to learn how to focus better.”

So far, the faculty has seen a positive change in the students’ work habits. “Many of the students have come to me and told me how much they enjoy the roaches, and think that they deserve a permanent home at Woodbridge High School,”  guidance counselor Ms. Ferrara said,

“The roaches are a huge success,” Mr. Lottmann said. “They have helped the students excel academically, and socially, the students have learned how to accept those who are a little different from themselves. That’s why we proudly use our hashtag, #WeAreRoaches.”