Cell Phone Policy Explained

All+Woodbridge+High+School+classrooms+now+have+a+flyer+reminding+students+of+the+cell+phone+policy.+

All Woodbridge High School classrooms now have a flyer reminding students of the cell phone policy.

Andrew Rodriguez, Senior Editor

This year in Woodbridge High School, administrators and teachers are cracking down harder than ever on cell phone usage in the hallways and the classroom. The policy has not been changed, although it is being enforced.

Vice principal Mr. Chiera said, “The policy hasn’t changed at all since last year. We are just enforcing it stronger because it’s the beginning of a new year and we want to start it off correctly. I think students may have thought it changed because of all the flyers that Mr. Perry has put in every room. It’s all been district policy for years.”

Some students were concerned about the harsh punishments for violating the policy, such as Alternate Classroom Setting or even Out Of School Suspension, if you are recognized as a habitual offender of the policy. However, Mr. Chiera said, ” The ACS and the OSS only get handed out when a student refuses to give in their phone for the 2nd, 3rd, and beyond […] because then it becomes a discipline issue. If you just hand in your phone when asked, then you’ll just have to pick it up at the end of the day.”

Mr. Lottmann said, ” I hope the new push against cell phones is a good tone-setter for our students and it creates a learning environment that is as free from distractions as possible.”

Students seem to be more receptive to the increased campaign by the staff and administration. Lenny Nguyen, a senior, said, “It’s definitely a deterrent seeing the flyers and the possible consequences for violating the cell phone policy. I think it’s a good thing for all students in the long run.”