COVID-19 Alters College Application Process

Acelyn Goris, Reporter

With all of the challenges 2020 has thrown at students, applying to colleges has become the latest hurdle amidst the worsening pandemic as application deadlines loom.

At Woodbridge High School, seniors have relied upon their guidance counselors to navigate the unprecedented changes to the application process.

Nathaniel Elson, a senior and goalie for the Woodbridge High School varsity soccer team, has applied to five colleges, some in state and some out of state. He admits that the experience of applying isn’t what he initially thought it would be. 

As a soccer recruit, Elson is finding it difficult to make connections to the campuses as everything is now virtual. He said trying to juggle homework and college applications has been stressful but he is determined to get it done. 

“It is not as easy as I thought it would be–applying to college and doing school work–because, on top of all the [homework,] quizzes, and tests that my teachers assign on a daily basis,” Elson said. “It is very hard to get all of this done during the day, especially with sports being a factor, too.”

Despite the pressure to complete work, Elson was recently accepted into York St. John’s University, and plans on playing with the I2I Soccer Academy, the school’s soccer team.

Another WHS senior, Isabel Reyes, has applied to six colleges, two of which are in state. Reyes has found the virtual aspect of applications to be discouraging and more difficult than in person.

Due to the move to remote instruction, Reyes, like many students, finds it difficult to get in contact with her guidance counselor. Now, she said she is facing a difficult time with her applications.

“I am finding it very difficult to juggle both school work and applications. I have not figured out how to balance the two,” she said.

“I tend to focus on school too much and keeping up with that, which leaves me behind where I want to be with college applications. Then, when I focus on college apps, I fall behind in school.”

For students, reaching out to counselors for assistance has become a difficult task, thought counselors remain available during school hours, and even contact students after school hours, in many instances.

Guidance counselor Mrs. Rich finds it challenging to get in touch with her students. “Students are not easily accessible, so I do not have as much contact as I would like. I like to do things in person, so I try to do as many google meets as possible, but it is hard to just get in touch with students,” she said. 

In an attempt to keep in contact with Woodbridge High School seniors, Mrs. Rich releases weekly emails that provide updates and general information on applying to colleges.

She says she has students reaching out daily for guidance with their applications and advises them “to not panic. Take it one day at a time, step by step. Be sure that you know your deadlines first and foremost, then work from there. Also, I am here to help every step of the way!”

Despite the challenges of 2020, students and advisors are working hard and dedicating time to completing this school year.

Any student with questions about the application process should contact their guidance counselor by email, or phone.