New Teacher Alert: Ms. Suydam

Lauren Carter

Ms. Suydam is ready to teach her Spanish class for the 2021-2022 year!

Ryan Fijol, Editor

As the new school year has begun at Woodbridge High School, it has also brought new teachers and staff members along with it. Ms. Suydam is one of those new teachers and is teaching Spanish for this 2021 – 2022 school year.

Barron Perspective: Where are you from?
Emily Suydam: I grew up in Lavallette, NJ and I currently live in East Brunswick, NJ

BP: When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?
ES: I always wanted to be a teacher. 

BP: Where did you attend school before college?
ES: I went to Point Pleasant Beach High School in Point Pleasant, NJ

BP: What made you want to be a teacher and when did you realize this?
ES: Both of my parents were teachers. I grew up listening to their stories about their students and just knew that, that was what I wanted to be when I grew up.

BP: What college did you attend? What was your major? What activities did you enjoy while there and why?
ES:  I attended Kutztown University of Pennsylvania. My major was Spanish education. I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Spanish Education K-12. I really enjoyed traveling when I was in college. I traveled to Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Italy and Amsterdam. 

BP: What is your previous teaching experience, if any?
ES: I have taught at Fords Middle School for 8 years! Some of you might know me as Miss Pfister

BP: What classes are you currently teaching and what will you be teaching next semester?
ES: I currently teach Spanish 1s and 1r and will be teaching the same courses next semester.

BP: How were your first few days of the school year at Woodbridge High School? What do you like about WHS?
ES: My first few days were fantastic! I have loved seeing my former students from FMS all grown up! WHS is a great place to be! 

BP: Are you involved in any extracurricular activities, if so, what and why?
ES: I am not involved in any extracurricular activities right now.

BP: How do you plan on making this a good school year?
ES: I plan to make this a great school year by always having a positive attitude! 

BP: What are you looking forward to this school year and why?
ES: I look forward to watching my students grow and learn! 

BP: What hobbies do you enjoy outside of school?
ES:Outside of school I enjoy walking and playing with my dog, riding my peloton bike and reading. I also enjoy traveling! During my most recent trip before 2020 I went to Croatia, Germany, France and Spain. I have also been to México, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic. 

BP: Is there anything else you would like to add?
ES: GO BARRONS!