Finals Return to WHS

Lauren Carter

Students are preparing to return to finals this semester

Janese Lewis, Reporter

Final exams are returning to Woodbridge High School for the 2021-2022 school year.

March 13,2020 was the last day Woodbridge High School saw a “normal” school day before this year. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, WHS students were taught remotely online from their homes for 18 months. 

Because of the hardships of the pandemic and the culture shock of remote learning, the Central Office Leadership Team cancelled finals for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year and the 2020-2021 school year. 

However, Woodbridge High School was able to reopen completely for the 2021-2022 school year. With the welcoming of the first “regular” school year since the beginning of the pandemic, WHS also welcomes back semester finals. 

With final exams approaching, WHS teachers are in full preparation mode. Business teacher Mr. Mortensen likes to begin preparation from the first day of school. As finals’ week gets closer, he likes to review certain topics with his students to prepare them better for the exam.

Mr. Mortensen revealed some of his own studying habits. He said he liked to “set aside a few minutes each day to look over notes or materials” to avoid having to squeeze studying into one session. 

For some at Woodbridge High, semester exams are not a new practice. However, that doesn’t mean students are looking forward to finals week. 

For senior Kasani Thomas finals weren’t very difficult, but were indeed stressful. Thomas has prepared for her past exams by studying as early as 3 weeks before finals. 

“If your teacher gives you a study guide, use it,” Thomas said.

According to the WHS senior, “Finals are very important, especially if you didn’t do very well in the 2 marking periods.” 

So anyone who has not performed their best work this semester may want to begin now focusing some energy towards preparing for exams.

Some of the students here at Woodbridge High School have never seen or taken a high school final exam. 

Sophomore baseball player Drew Lukachyk will take his first high school final assessment this school year.

In preparation for his finals, he plans on going over material with his teachers to make sure he knows what he needs to confidently take his tests. He has already begun reviewing his notes to get a head start. 

Although Drew isn’t nervous about testing, it’s common for students to be anxious about finals.

While testing days can be overwhelming for many students, with the right preparation many students find themselves satisfied with their scores.