Barrons Prepare for College

Brianna Paone, Reporter

As students near high school graduation, some prepare for life in college. Ms. Moyer and Ms. Rich, two of Woodbridge High Schools guidance counselors, help students pursue their goals.

“A great way to help students discover their personal interests is to get involved while still in high school” Ms. Rich says, “Being exposed to things can help you determine what you want to do and make you more desirable to colleges, local trade schools, or the workforce”.

This includes joining clubs, sports, getting community service hours, or getting a part time job.

Ms. Moyer says, “There are always many options for a student who does not want to take the college road”.

Joining the work force, looking at trade schools, vocational schools, or looking into a full time job are all options for high school students after their high school career.

Woodbridge High School student, Alex Grochowski, who enlisted in the army says, “I enlisted because I want to serve my country and experience new travel. I didn’t want to go to college because I didn’t find a field that interested me…” Most students may feel like college is mandatory for a successful future, but as mentioned before, there are of other options.

When it comes to getting help, Ms. Rich says, “One of our best resources for our students outside of their families are their guidance counselors and teachers.” Woodbridge High School offers career and college fairs which are recommended for students to attend. Along with that, college visits, career questionnaires, and tours are always an option.

All students should feel free to ask any questions that they may have. “No question is wrong or dumb.” says Ms. Rich. High School guidance counselors are always available and happy to help and assist students. Woodbridge High School student, Jocelyn James says, “Through the whole admission process, honestly, my parents and guidance counselor have been the most helpful in keeping me on track.”

Looking into the future can be extremely stressful and difficult for students to plan out. Although, with getting the right help and taking the necessary steps, success is possible.