Checking in With Mental Health

Brianna Paone, Reporter

Woodbridge High School has introduced a new program involving all grades to help with mental health after the pandemic ridden past two years students have had.

With the stress of managing school, work, and other actives, it’s crucial for students to have mental health check ins and to make sure the people around them are doing okay. The Woodbridge Township School District is committed to students’ help and has instituted a new Social Emotional Learning program.

Ms. Joao, WHS’s Student Assistance Counselor who is in charge of SEL, said, “At a time like this with COVID, students may feel overwhelmed and burnt out.” 

The SEL program consists of a 15 minute in-depth video about inner feelings which helps students get in tune with their mental health. Teachers will play the video on Tuesdays and complete a check-in activity on Thursdays.

Occasionally students will get a packet to go along with the video where they will get the chance to write down any feelings they have about school, friends, or life in general.

The videos shown to students encourage them to reach out to adults in their life, whether that is someone like a teacher, counselor, or parent. Although not everyone may not be comfortable with speaking up, Ms. Joao said, “Take that step if you feel you aren’t 100 percent normal and put your faith in someone, give it a shot. We all need the extra support, just reach out.”

Some students may not take this program seriously, but it is encouraged that everyone makes an effort to get focused and to learn something through this program. Mental health is something that impacts everyone and many people don’t bother to deal with it. “It’s not just this year, but it hits worse because of COVID. This will carry on into the upcoming years, students, teachers, and adults are stressed…” said Ms. Joao.