Future of ACE Room in Question

ACE+Room

Kevin

The Academic Center of Excellence as it looked on December 12th, 2022.

Kevin Modeszto, Reporter

The ACE room, also known as the Academic Center of Excellence, is known to most at WHS as “a waste of space”. However, that is nowhere near the case.

History

In the past, the ACE room was the school’s library. However, there was a supposed lack of need for a library as well as the Woodbridge Main Library across the street. Due to this, the library was transformed into a technology center starting in the 2017-2018 school year

ACE room upkeep and tech liaison Mr. O’Halloran said that “the idea was to have this huge space where up to three classrooms could work in different areas on projects and you’d walk into this bustling, loud room full of students doing amazing stuff.”

This lasted a total of two years until every student got their own Chromebook starting with the 2019-2020 school year. Since then, and especially since COVID-19, the ACE room has seemingly served little purpose besides being an empty space. 

Future

However, this isn’t the case. This is agreed upon by both Mr. O’Halloran and fellow tech liaison Mr. Chittum. Both men are for keeping the current arrangement of just an open space. 

“The ACE should remain used as it is,” said Mr. Chittum. “It is a great space for clubs, activities, and meetings.” 

The ACE, said Mr. O’Hallloran, “…is prime real estate that can be manipulated for many purposes that help our students develop those skills: a meeting space, a classroom, a testing room, a hall for a guest speaker, a dining area for a luncheon, a yoga studio—you name it, the ACE has probably been used for it. Having a large, versatile space, even if it isn’t used every day, is always going to be in the best interest of our students and staff.”

It does not appear that the ACE room’s state as an all-purpose room will be changing anytime soon. The higher-ups both find this state of affairs optimal.