Colleges Make SAT Scores Optional

Savannah Alamo

Ms. Johal holding ACT and SAT preparation books.

Anthony Felice, Reporter

SAT scores have been considered a crucial part of the college admission process. But recently, a growing number of colleges and universities have made the decision to make College SAT scores optional for applicants.

This means that students can choose whether or not to submit their SAT scores as part of their college application. 

There are several reasons why colleges are making this decision, such as scores are a poor indicator of college success.

Studies show that high school grades are a much better predictor of how well a student will do in college.

It’s said that the SAT is inherently biased against certain groups of students. Such as those from low-income backgrounds or underrepresented minority groups.

Allowing students to opt-out of submitting SAT scores can also level the playing field. Especially for people who might not have had the same opportunities to prepare for the exam.

Some students may not have had access to test prep materials or tutoring if needed. While others face obstacles such as illness or family emergencies on the day of testing. By making the submission of SAT scores optional, colleges and universities can take a more holistic approach to evaluating applicants.

Making SAT scores optional can benefit colleges and universities by increasing the diversity of their applicant pool.

Students may decide not to apply to certain schools if they feel their scores are not up to par.

By eliminating the requirement to submit SAT scores schools can encourage a wider range of students to apply. Potentially leading to a more diverse and well-rounded student body.

Three senior students of Woodbridge High School stated how they feel about SAT scores being optional to submit and the responses were all around the same.

Besan Abusharia says she thinks all schools should have SAT scores optional. if students have bad scores but a really good GPA. Her score is going to affect her getting into the colleges she’s been dreaming of getting into.

Senior Angelina Quezada, says “I don’t think my score should be affecting what colleges I get into because I think it’s just unfair to me and other people.”

Finally, Andres Valencia responded by him saying he doesn’t care about the score being optional due to his SAT score being good.

There are also drawbacks to making SAT scores optional. It can be more difficult for colleges and universities to compare and evaluate applicants since they’ll no longer have a standardized test score to use as a benchmark.

Overall, the decision to make SAT scores optional is very complex and requires balancing the potential benefits and drawbacks. While it might not be the right approach for every college or university. Many institutions are finding that it can be an effective way to create a more equitable and diverse admissions process.