Album Review: Drake’s “FOR ALL THE DOGS”

Long time Drake fans give their feedback on Drake’s new album and whether the “old Drake” has truly returned.
FOR ALL THE DOGS album cover created by Drakes six year old son.
FOR ALL THE DOGS album cover created by Drake’s six year old son.

On June 23, singer Drake, announced the release date of his upcoming book, Titles Ruin Everything. Through a QR code provided on the front-page of the New York Post, he announced “I made an album to go with the book. They say they miss the old Drake girl, don’t tempt me. FOR ALL THE DOGS.”

Since then, Drake fans eager for the return of the “old Drake” anticipated the release of this upcoming album and were expecting lyrics and beats that were incorporated in his earlier music. However, since the release of FOR ALL THE DOGS, feedback from an interview with some of his biggest fans, questions whether Drake really kept his word and the return of the “old Drake,” as he teased, truly returned.

Feedback

Avid Drake fan Bella Vargas admitted, “I don’t think he kept his word, this album gave me Playboi Carti vibes for like half of it.”

Joseph Roige added, “I feel like for the first half of his album it was more upbeat new drake but towards the end of it, it was a lot slower and kind of like his old music.”

While most of Drake’s fans can agree he failed to incorporate the style and beats of his earlier music, there are still fans who believe he kept his word.

Self proclaimed president of the ¨I love Drake” club, Jostiel Valdez said, “I love Drake. Drake always keeps his word.”

Whether Drake really kept his word remains subjective to each person. While some may say the album was great just not his old stuff, more stubborn fans might claim that Drake truly did keep his word simply because they love and idolize him.

My Thoughts

As a long fan of Drake and after listening to his album, I believe he failed to bring back the “old Drake.” Many of the songs in FOR ALL THE DOGS sounded much like his newer music and did not mimic his old style. However, I overall enjoyed the album. Some of my favorite songs included Virginia Beach, Members Only, and Tried Our Best. 

In my opinion, I do not believe Drake will ever be able to successfully recreate and completely encapsulate the same energy that was used in his older music. Much of Drake’s popular music was created when he was in his teens and early 20’s. And as he aged and developed, so did his music.