Football Season Recap

The Woodbridge Barrons football team just finished a successful regular season winning the Big Central Liberty Gold Division. The Barrons ended their season 6-3 with huge wins over cross-town rivals Colonia and JFK.
andersonnnnnnnnnn

Assistant football coach Anthony Nyers said the team “accomplished our goal of winning the division and beating Colonia and Kennedy. Now we’re focused on playoffs and competing for a championship.”

After starting the season 2-2, the Barrons responded by winning the next four in a row and outscoring their opponents 181-21. Nyers credited the team for working hard and not letting the two early defeats define the team.

In the most hyped-up game of the season, Woodbridge dominated Colonia 42-7. Senior Linebacker Jack Brenner, says “Winning the Colonia game felt good cause no one believed in us coming into the season and leading up to the game.”

Nyers said “Winning the rivalry game was awesome. The team was so focused and played with a lot of passion and energy. We really wanted that trophy back after losing last season.”

Nyers gave credit to Junior Running Back Jahmir Beal for stepping up this season. Beal finished the season with 574 rushing yards, 68 receiving yards, and seven touchdowns. Jahmir credited Coach Lasala for setting the groundwork for the season and with all the work we went through in the offseason, “I knew I had to step up.”

Coach also credited sophomore starting linemen C Kenny Mongelli, RT Jhonny Collado, and LG Jeremiah Colon for stepping up this year.

Starting quarterback Derek Anderson helped lead the barrons with 1544 passing yards. He also threw 19 touchdowns to go along with 6 rushing touchdowns. Bucknell commit and senior captain A.J. Bosch had 1,131 all-purpose yards to go along with 17 touchdowns.

The Barrons play at Ridge tonight at 7 p.m. in the first round of state playoffs.

To read more about Barron sports, go to the Perspectives Sports page archive.