Musical Senior Spotlight: Megan Shala

With the curtains closing on Sweeney Todd, the curtains also close on the WHS theater career of senior Megan Shala.
Megan Shala
Megan Shala during production of Matilda her junior year.

With the curtains closing on Sweeney Todd, the curtains also close on the Woodbridge High theater careers of the seniors. This article is spotlighting one of them, Megan Shala.

Megan Shala has been doing theater since sixth grade. Her first show was about anti-bullying, but has grown so much further. 

“The first time I stepped on stage and felt that adrenaline rush…I knew I loved it,” Shala said.

As far as her time in Woodbridge High, she was a part of three musicals. Kiss Me Kate her sophomore year, Matilda her junior year, and Sweeney Todd this year. 

Her favorite role was “definitely” Mrs. Phelps in Matilda. 

“I felt so connected to her because of the beautiful personality she had,” said Shala. “Everyday for about 20 minutes I would lock myself in my room and practice. Sometimes my family would even ask if I was talking to myself…(But) the best part of this role was making the crowd laugh and warm their hearts.”

Her family played a major part in her theater career, introducing her to a love of acting, dancing, and singing. She recalled dancing along to music videos with her mom and brother when asked about dancing. 

Along with her family, the cast of Hamilton was also a major influence. “This (Hamilton) was the first Broadway musical I found and fell in love with. I wanted to be just like those actors.”

She describes the feeling of opening night as “magic.”

“I’m ecstatic to see if my friends, family, and audience are moved by this show,” she said. 

When asked what advice she would give to younger musical kids, she said “live in the moment. Everyone says “before you know it, you’ll be a senior.” Instead of counting down the end, bask in the moment of the present.”