Omicron Forces WTSD Virtual Through Jan 14

Google Meet serves as a useful asset to WHS students and staff under remote learning.

Michael Thomas, Editor

What was a measure only seen by Woodbridge High School and other district high schools since the end of winter recess, remote learning has returned to all Woodbridge Township schools.

After a scheduled reopening for January 10th, the reason for this week-long shutdown boils down to why WHS switched to remote learning in the first place: the Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) inhibiting the school from functioning with proper teacher supervision and to “efficiently” transport students to and from school grounds.

In a letter sent to “Woodbridge Families” on January 7th, the Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Massimino, wrote, “We have maximized the efficiency of our available personnel…” but, “…despite the diligent efforts of all involved, still had classes and schools pivot to remote instruction this past week,” referring to the state of high schools last week.

Additionally, with an immense demand for COVID tests alongside longer wait times for results (boston.com) (mysanantonio.com), it’s harder to gauge where individuals stand on COVID infection.

As such, all Woodbridge schools will be virtual for the duration of this school week, Monday the 10th through Friday the 14th, with a return to in-person instruction slated for Tuesday the 18th, following the observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

While in-person learning will be on pause, Dr. Massimino’s letter notes that extra-curricular activities, such as athletics, will go on as scheduled.

Unlike last school week, this week will see a divergence from scheduling WHS has followed throughout the 2021-22 school year. For one, the school’s start time will be five minutes later at 7:55 A.M. as opposed to the traditional 7:50 A.M.

In a move which will please WHS students, lunch has been changed from four separate twenty-minute periods of lunch, the last starting at 12:35 P.M., to one, thirty-five-minute lunch starting at 10:55 A.M. and ending at 11:30 A.M.

For those eligible, breakfast and lunch will be available for pick up at Door #1 from 7:00 A.M. through 12:00 P.M.

The most notable change in the schedule comes from the altered instruction time. 

In a separate statement by the Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction, Mr. Postorino, Postorino announced that the one-hour and twenty-five-minute classes will have an hour of “instructional activities where students must remain on camera.” 

The remaining twenty-five minutes will serve as “Office Hours” and “Support Services”, where students can ask teachers for help with work, but don’t have to stay for.

The seven-day average of U.S. COVID-19 cases was around 656,000 on the 8th due to Omicron, the highest it’s ever been. This number is expected to rise, according to the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Dr. Rochelle Walensky.

For continual coverage of the school’s operating status, monitor the Barron Perspective for more information.