Joseph Lepisto Named New Mascot

Photo of senior Joseph Lepisto at Woodbridge High School football game.

whsbarronpride

Umar Chohan, Reporter

Senior, Joseph Lepisto was chosen to be the mascot and represent the school spirit of Woodbridge High School. Mascots are a main part of WHS, they add excitement at events. 

The name, “Barron” means someone who is in nobility and it’s easy to recognize as they wear a tophat, gloves, and a walking stick. The name comes from a rich Woodbridge family that once owned the land.

In an interview with Mr. Terrell, a teacher who’s been the advisor for the mascot for 17 years, said, “It can be tough making the decision.” Some years we may even have more than one, depending on conflicts and availability but usually, the choice ends up being fairly obvious.”

However, it’s unknown what qualities are looked for in a mascot, are their tryouts, and how is it decided. He quickly responded by saying, “I usually begin recruiting and putting feelers out for a new mascot in May of the year prior.”

He continued to say, “I try to select juniors as I can work with them for two years, however, our mascot ends up being a senior. The qualities I look for are good academic standing and availability, talents, and fun overall, and will usually call candidates into school to check on these skills in late August.” 

Mr. Terrell had previously coached and supervised for many years in the Athletic Department. He said, “The two worlds often collide when I advise our mascot.” 

According to Senior Julie Mitchell, “Having the mascot is super important for school spirit. It gives our school a representative and adds more excitement to our events.” 

She also goes on to say, “I love the new mascot, it’s so fun having him at games.”

Many people wonder about the point of view of a mascot and daily life. Senior Joseph Lepisto shares his experiences, “Mr. Terrel is very chill about attending events and what we do about them. There is no stress at all.” 

He loves being the mascot of the school and shares one of his memorable experiences. “The last football game was where I felt like myself and completely had fun as the Barron. I can’t forget the senior night.” 

He also says that it’s important to be charismatic. For those who may want to be a mascot in the future.“I would also say attend everything you can. It’s always nice to have the mascot at an event. Many people asked me why I go to so many events but I say, ‘Because I enjoy what I do.’ 

The Barron adds excitement and life to the many events of WHS. Joseph Lepisto continues to add life to these events.