New Mascots Bring Pep to WHS

Julia Milevoi, Reporter

Woodbridge High School named seniors Lorena Gama and Tara Mahon as the new Barron mascots for the 2021-22 school year. 

Named “The Barron Wrangler,” Mr. Terrell heads the operation. He said that The Barron will be used at pep rallies, senior nights, open houses, and alumni events. When asked what his favorite part of being the “Barron Wrangler” is, Mr. Terrell said, “I enjoy being able to combine my love for the performing arts with my passion for athletics. It’s very exciting to be on the sidelines advising the Barron during a tense football game.” 

Mr. Terrell started the Barron in 2005, with a Drama Club and Spring Musical student, Marco Boggio. When asked why he decided to revive the Barron tradition, Mr. Terrell said, “Being both a sports fan and drama teacher, it seemed a natural fit to rekindle our mascot again.” 

While both Lorena Gama and Tara Mahon hold The Barron title now, Mahon says that one thing she would change is the use of one Barron at a time. “ As you may know me and Lorena are co-Barrons, when one can’t make an event the other will do it or if we both can, [we] [take] turns. However, we can’t officially both be dressed up fully as the Barron. ” 

Outside of being The Barron, Mahon and Gama both participate in other extracurricular activities. Gama plays girl’s varsity soccer, swims, runs spring track, and is a member of the National and French Honors Societies. Mahon participates in Interact club, Drama club, and Vocal Point. Due to this, there are many conflicts. 

Mr. Terrell said, “Lorena Gama reached out to me last summer to express her interest… and I asked Tara Mahon to help cover the Barron when Lorena had soccer conflicts.” 

Gama said that working alongside Mr. Terrell is “one of the best parts of being the Barron” and that he is very welcoming and considerate, “He offers me water, granola bars, and mango tea while out on the field in case I ever get hungry.”

Since Gama and Mahon graduate this 2021-22 school year, Mr. Terrell will need to find new Barron mascots. He says, “I hope and trust that our Barron Mascot experience will continue much the same way that it has the last 17 years… and I hope it remains a lasting tradition for many years to come!”