Mrs. Winard Set To Retire

At the end of this school year, English teacher Mrs. Winard will be retiring after 23 years and 20 at Woodbridge High. The Barron Perspective interviewed her to discuss her retirement and reflect on her career at Woodbridge High School.
Emma Lopes
Mrs. Winard enjoys some down time in her classroom

The Interview

BP: Why did you choose to teach English?

MW: I was inspired by a crazy 11th grade English teacher I had. She was a little cuckoo, truthfully ran around the class, always wore black. These are some things I remember about her from 11th grade. She was inspiring, and I remember sitting at my desk in class and saying “If I were to be an English teacher, I’d want to be just like her”. Rachel Sugarman was her name. I even remember her first and last name. 

BP: What are your favorite aspects of teaching?

MW: The comradery with the staff, and making students aware of things they weren’t aware of before. Also, guiding them to be the best that they can be and reach the pinnacle of their abilities.

BP: What is your best memory from WHS?

MW: The best memories are the times that students have come up to me and personally thanked me for what they feel is the guidance and help that I’ve given them to achieve and become their best.

BP: What will you miss most about working here?

MW: There are a plethora of things that I’ll miss. I’ll miss my colleagues in the English department and other departments. And I’ll miss the everyday interaction with the students.

BP: What do you plan on doing with your free time after retirement?

MW: I plan on visiting family around the country. I hope to read books that I’ve put off or haven’t read, and I hope to do substitute teaching in my home district so I’ll still be in education.

The Barron Perspective appreciates Mrs. Winard’s devotion to WHS and wishes her the best in the last months of her career and in her retirement.