Michigan defeats Ohio State

Michigan defeats Ohio State 30-24.
Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

On Saturday Michigan defeated Ohio State for the third straight season. The third-ranked Wolverines beat the second-ranked Buckeyes 30-24, clinching the Big Ten East title and a spot in the championship game vs Iowa.

Coming into the game a big headline was Michigan’s coach Jim Harbaugh being suspended for his role in the Michigan sign stealing scandal.

The game started slow with two punts by each team before an interception by Will Johnson inside the Ohio State 10-yard line. That set up a Blake Curom touchdown to put Michigan up 7-0. Ohio State responded with a 43 yard field to go down 7-3 after the first quarter.

Michigan then drove down the field and on 3rd and ten J.J. McCarthy found Roman Wilson for a 22 yard touchdown. Ohio State countered with an Emeka Egbuka touchdown. OSU got a much needed stop before they missed a 52 yard field goal to go into the half down 14-10.

After a field goal by Michigan to start the third quarter, TreVeyon Henderson rushed for a 4 yard touchdown to tie the game at 17. Blake Curom responded by scoring his second touchdown of the game off a 22 yard run to put the Wolverines back up by 7.

Up seven to start the fourth Michigan kicked a 20 yard field goal to go up two scores. Marvin Harrison then caught a 14 yard touchdown to get within three. Michigan responded with a field goal of their own to go up six with 35 seconds remaining. After two big plays Ohio State was on the Michigan 37 yard line before Kyle McCord threw a game ending Interception.

With the win Michigan now is likely headed to the College Football Playoff. Ohio State will likely need multiple upsets to be considered. The Wolverierns also gets the opportunity to play Iowa at the Big Ten championship game.

The Game”  was the most watched college football game of the season with 19.07 million people watching.

To read more about Barron’s sports, go to the Perspectives Sports page archive.

View Comments (2)