Lakers Win First In-Season Tournament

Lebron James and the Los Angeles Lakers defeat the Indiana Pacers in the first in-season tournament.
Ethan Miller/Getty Images
Lebron James holds trophy after in-season tournament victory.

In the first annual NBA In-Season Tournament, the Los Angeles Lakers defeated the Indiana Pacers 123-109. The Lakers were led by Anthony Davis scoring 41 points to go along with 20 rebounds. 

Anthony Davis, Lebron James, and Austin Reaves combined for 93 of the Lakers points. Tyrese Haliburton did all he could dropping 20 points and 11 assists in the loss.

The Lakers dominated going 7-0 en route to the championship. They outscored their opponents by more than 20 points per game. Indiana went 6-1 knocking off top teams like the Cavaliers, Celtics, Bucks, and 76ers. 

Lebron James added another accolade to his resume as he added the in-season tournament MVP after averaging 26.4 points, 8 rebounds, and 7.6 assists in their 7 games.

In addition to a trophy, the in-season tournament had a prize of 500k per player which helped motivate the players and create playoff-like atmospheres. Fans enjoyed the NCAA Tournament style making every game win or home. 

The NBA received great feedback from fans, including a few Barron perspective writers who gave their thoughts on the tournament.

Jack Brenner said “The NBA sure got adventurous. I enjoyed watching bench players like Austin Reaves help his team get to the championship, and I hope the NBA continues this to next year. Happy for my goat Lebron.”

Tyler Weber says “I’m not a fan of the in-season tournament, Michael Jordan never got to participate. Always want to take away from the true goat. I enjoy the real playoffs, not this fake tournament.”

Josh Ruck said “The in-season tournament was a great addition I hope it stays. I’m happy the Lakers won the tournament and my goat Lebron James won the MVP. I’ve never seen Jordan win the in-season tournament.”

To read more about Barron sports, go to the Perspectives Sports page archive.

View Comments (2)