Printmaking Class Comes to WHS

by Jose Gomez

This school year, the Woodbridge High School Arts Department introduced “Intro to Printmaking”, a course piloted in the fall by Ms. Zadigian.

Printmaking involves any technique of creating art by printing on paper or other materials. Students learn a wide array of these techniques, including: carving into wood to create stamp-like plates, scratching etchings into plexiglass, and cutting designs into silkscreen. By the end of the course, students will have made posters, fine artwork, t-shirts, and fabric patches.

Ms. Zadigian proposed the class last fall to vice principal Mr. Connelly. “I knew that students would be interested in the course because it combined graphic design and fashion design,” said Ms. Zadigian, who took several printmaking courses while earning her Master’s degree at Montclair State University.

“This course would not exist without the vision and determination of Ms. Zadigian,” said Mr. Connelly. “She recognized a need to expand the curricular offerings for our students and worked tirelessly to make this course happen.”

Senior Leonel Diaz, who is currently enrolled in Printmaking, said “Intro to Printmaking is a class I wish they added years ago. I love being able to transfer my work onto various surfaces.”

Due to the course’s popularity, a spring semester section was created, which is taught by Mr. Angatia. The prerequisite for Printmaking is Introduction to Visual Arts.

Printmaking projects also serve as good additions to portfolios for students applying to art colleges.

“I am enjoying the positive reactions that students have to the result of trying something new,” said Ms. Zadigian. “Students seem to enjoy the class. I know this because they smile often… and I hear their excitement when ‘pulling a print’ to see their final product.”