Bowling Team Bowls Three Perfect Matches

by Domenic Schnee and Matthew Corcoran

Three members of the Woodbridge High School Boys’ Bowling team have bowled perfect matches this season.

Coach Small, in her third year coaching the boys’ team, currently runs both the boys’ and girls’ teams during the week, but receives help from Coach Mortensen for weekend tournaments. Under their leadership, the boys’ team has become a top competitor in the state of New Jersey.

“In the near future, I hope the team will be competitive,” Coach Small said. “We have a young squad that I hope will continue down the path we are on now.”

Although there have been a total of four 300s bowled this season, the team does not have any set strategies that they employ at matches to reach for those twelve straight strikes. “What I can say is that it takes consistency, and being able to go up on the approach and execute all twelve shots.” Coach Small said.

This consistency proved to be a challenge for freshman Anthony Polise, whose 300 came in a Junior Varsity match against crosstown rival JFK. “Oddly enough,” he said, “when I was bowling that game, I didn’t get nervous until I realized I had nine in a row and turned around and saw the whole bowling alley watching me.”

James Stoveken, while only a sophomore, has the most experience with bowling perfect matches, although not all of them were accomplished in his high school career. His first 300 this season was against East Brunswick, and his second came at the Central Jersey Winter Classic.

According to James, nerves did not make it difficult for James to be consistent. “Nothing was really going through my mind. I wasn’t really thinking about anything. I just let my body take over and threw a good shot,” he said.

Senior Kyle Bilawsky, captain of the boy’s team, is not only the oldest member of the team to bowl a perfect game, but also the most experienced bowler, having started at the age of four.

He bowled a 300 against Sayreville this season, his third overall. “Nothing compares to the feeling of bowling a perfect match for the first time,” he said, crediting his perfect games to how he drives “real hard to be successful” in his sport.

Whether perfect matches will come from the rest of the team is unpredictable for the time being, but both the team’s captain and head coach are hopeful that the team will continue to perform at a high level.