Ben Returns to School After Battle with Cancer

josegomez83

by Nigel Pala

Ben Lepisto, now a sophomore at Woodbridge High School. Ben recently returned to WHS after undergoing cancer treatment.

In November 2015, the Woodbridge High School community, as well as the Township at large, was made aware of then-freshman Ben Lepisto, whose life took an unfortunate turn when doctors discovered he had a brain tumor. The story united the school in support of their fellow classmate, which resulted in multiple successful fundraisers to help the Lepisto family with the costly treatment.

Ben has made extreme steps in progressing past his condition in the last 14 months. “Although it hasn’t been confirmed by my doctors,” he said, “I currently believe I am cancer free and am just waiting for confirmation.”

Ben was restricted to home instruction last year while he received treatment for a Medulloblastoma, a large malignant brain tumor, and persevered through a very strict health schedule.

After a year of rigorous treatment, Ben has made remarkable progress, according to his doctors, and has now returned to school.

“I was super excited to get back to school. I missed my friends and peers the most. Chilling at home and visits to the doctors and the hospital aren’t really very fun. Seeing my friends daily again is just a good feeling to have again,” Ben said.

Ben is currently taking 10th grade English, Visual Arts 2D, Driver’s Education, Gym, and US History 1. He said he likes all of his teachers, who are helping him ease back into school life.

Although there was a lot for Ben to gain by coming back to school, he wasn’t shy about he hasn’t missed during his time on home instruction. “Like most students, I don’t miss homework and testing very much, but aside from that, I’m glad to be back in school.”

Ben has been moving ahead of schedule in his recovery and even said his doctors regard his progress as a miracle. “I’m glad everything has settled down,” Ben said, “and I can get back to school and living like I did before this.”