Students, Staff Raise Money for Childhood Cancer Research

By Sarah Kulick

20150315_103809
    Coach Calhoun proudly loses his hair for St. Baldrick’s as Coach Gulics holds a sign in memory of those who have lost their battle to cancer. Senior cheer captains Jen Carfagno and Heather Szoke (l to r) took ceremonial first swipes with the razor. (Sarah Kulick | Barron Perspective)

The gym floor at Woodbridge High School was covered with hair on March 15th as students and staff forsook their locks to raise awareness and funds for childhood cancer research.

A dozen or so participants were lined up, waiting for their turn to support the cause as three barbers, graciously volunteering their time and talent, shaved the heads of students, staff, and friends to the applause and admiration of the Barron community.

The event was organized by Coach Calhoun through the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a nonprofit organization that awards grants towards childhood cancer pharmaceutical research, a grossly underfunded endeavor according to their website.

Coach Calhoun, who teaches physical education and health at WHS, said, “I recently had a kid, and I’ve seen other kids that are fighting childhood cancer, and I think it’s something very important.”

20150315_103834
    Coach Calhoun and Principal Lottmann sacrifice their hair for the sake of childhood cancer awareness as Anthony Berardi patiently awaits his turn. (Sarah Kulick | Barron Perspective)

In addition to raising money, Calhoun’s aim was to open the students’ eyes. “I also wanted the Woodbridge High School students to understand that they have it really good. Hopefully they can realize that, and do really good things with their lives,” he said.

At the outset of the fundraiser, Calhoun hoped to raise $5,000, unsure of how the community would respond, or of the level of support he’d find. However, when the floors were swept and the money was counted, Calhoun and WHS managed to raise a staggering $10,748 for the cause, thanks to the support of the community, students, and faculty through their generous donations, and selfless rejection of vanity.

Coach Calhoun was joined by faculty members Principal Lottmann; Mr. Clarke; Mr. Grasso; Ms. Gulics; Mr. O’Halloran; and Mr. Switek, students Chris Phan; TJ Wagner; and Anthony Berardi, and a handful of others who felt inspired by the cause. Calhoun also noted he couldn’t have done it without the help of Ms. Clarke, Ms. Sacco, and the Interact Club.

Overall, the event was a major success, and something the school can be proud of.