Township Police Introduce Program to Reacquaint with Community

By Brian O’Halloran

Through role playing scenarios, seniors Ryan Alcott and Joey Marty learn how to handle a traffic stop from Detectives Zeno and Ransom during a session of the Police Interaction Program in Mr. Perry's Facing History course.
    Through role playing scenarios, seniors Ryan Alcott and Joey Marty learn how to handle a traffic stop from Detectives Zeno and Ransom during a session of the Police Interaction Program in Mr. Perry’s Facing History course.

In an effort to “bridge the gap” between the police and the youth of the community, the Woodbridge Township Police Department has rolled out a program to address the myths and misconceptions seen throughout social media.

Over the course of five sessions, police officers from the township have introduced their “Police Interaction Program” to two sections of the Facing History course at Woodbridge High School. The program is being spearheaded by Detective Ransom of the Juvenile Crime Division, and Detectives Slossberg and Zeno of the Community Affairs Division. “We want to help [students] learn how to positively interact with law enforcement to have a better outcome. And [we hope] they can give us some insight, also, on why they feel the way they do about enforcement, negative or positive,” Detective Slossberg said.

During their five visits, the detectives worked off a syllabus that featured an introduction about the department, including the number of officers the township employs, as well as how many minority officers work in Woodbridge. They discussed the civil service test and the process one must undergo in order to become a police officer in Woodbridge Township, as well as what prospective officers may expect in an interview.

The heart of the program focuses on what to do when interacting with the police. The officers planned a series of role playing scenarios in which students act as drivers being pulled over by both unmarked and marked cars, as well as by officers on foot patrol. Other scenarios include police officers coming to a dwelling, search and seizure, use of force, and Internal Affairs complaints and procedures.

During the first session of the Police Interaction Program, Captain Brady addresses students about use of force. The session concluded with questions from the students about controversial and misleading information about police brutality seen in social media.
    During the first session of the Police Interaction Program, Captain Brady addresses students about use of force. The session concluded with questions from the students about controversial and misleading information concerning police brutality seen in social media.

Throughout the planned activities and lectures, the detectives included time to respond to any questions and comments from the students. After all, according to Detective Slossberg, “We want [this program] to be a two-way conversation, a learning experience for both sides.”

The program has had the desired response. After only the third session, senior Rita Nasr said, “[Now,] people have a greater understanding and appreciation for the job that police officers do.”

That tone was set from the first visit in March when Captain Brady of the Woodbridge Township Police Department presented on the use of force and resisting arrest. The captain opened up an honest dialogue with the students who, many for the first time, were able to speak with the police officers as individuals without the stigma of feeling that they were in trouble with the law.

“As a police officer, I see the divide between the community and the police growing bigger and bigger every day. The greater the divide, the greater the risk of something bad happening in our community,” Detective Slossberg said.

To that end, the program is important, and the detectives would like the students to “have a better idea of what they can do to help themselves and help us stay safer and have a stronger relationship.”

For Mr. Perry, the Facing History teacher who has opened up his classroom to the detectives, the opportunity has been invaluable. “Our students have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge related to laws and rights of citizens thanks to the articulate nature in which the police have answered the students’ questions,” he said.

It also seems that the detectives have been able to change a few minds about the nature of law enforcement. “One student, in particular, who told me, ‘I hate cops,’ has had a complete reversal and now appreciates the police and even apologized to them for sleeping during the first visit,” Mr. Perry said.

Now that the detectives have concluded their five sessions at WHS, Detective Slossberg would like to continue bringing the program to the community, perhaps in one two-hour session when time is not a factor as in a school setting. “We would like to get out and talk to community groups and the other high schools and middle schools. Smaller groups are better. [It’s] easier to get on a more personal level,” she said.

The personal touch, as evidenced by the “overwhelmingly positive” response from Mr. Perry’s students, has certainly been a driving force in bridging the gap between the police and the community. If the myths students are hearing in the media begin to die down, then Detectives Ransom, Slossberg, and Zeno will have had a positive impact on the community they serve.