Advice Squad vol. 1

In this section, our student writers will provide advice to questions provided by the student body. To submit a question to The Barron Perspective’s Advice Squad, please use the mailbox located in front of our bulletin board in cafeteria 125.

The Advice Squad is ready to answer all of your questions.

How do I get a date?
    -Lonely

As stressful as this task may sound, if you take a logical, laid-back approach, you will land a date with ease. The first step is to engage in small talk; discuss interests, hobbies, school, or work. Then you want to casually ask if your prospective date has any plans for the weekend, because weekends are the prime time for dates. If the person is available, there are a few things that you can say. Perhaps, “Would you like to get a bite to eat with me?” Or “Would you like to accompany me to the marina to venture out onto the sound aboard my parents’ yacht?” But only if your family does, in fact, have a yacht. Otherwise, you’re lying, and nobody wants to date a liar. If you feel and act confidently, you will get the date. And if not, don’t worry: there are plenty of fish in the sea. Good luck!

-Charles Nickens

How should I quit my job?
    -Giving up on Work

If you want to quit your job, you should give your boss at least a 2 week notice. You are not obligated to explain your reasoning, either. When you’re telling your boss, try to be classy and avoid emotional outbursts. Leave your boss with a good impression just in case you want to come back in the future. You want to notify your co-workers and stay on good terms with them, as well. Good luck.

By: Alex Bradbury

How do I cope with stress?
    -Freaking out Freshman

High school can be a very stressful time for teenagers. Things like homework, tests, and college applications may cause a lot of unnecessary anxiety. But fear not, for there is an answer.

Organization can reduce stress if it’s done correctly. Is homework bogging you down? Form a schedule for it based on the difficulty, giving more difficult classes additional time to ensure the work is done well.

Does college have you worried? Using online sources–like the Common App–can help you organize your applications. When a task is broken down and organized, it makes it much more manageable. The more manageable something is, the easier it will be for you.

By:  F. Brandon Fitzgerald