WHS Mascot Transitions from Barron to Roach

By: Jessie McLaughlin

Woodbridge High School has decided to ditch the long-standing Barron mascot in favor of a smaller, more obvious connection to the school. Please welcome Richie the Roach.

As freshmen, most students are made aware of Woodbridge High School’s infamous cockroach problem. Due to the age of the building, roach infestation is inevitable no matter the expertise of any exterminator.

Students often poke fun at the school’s roach population which, after several encounters with the critters, feels like a commonplace occurrence.

In an effort to modernize the school and create new traditions, the faculty and students recently selected the roach in a schoolwide poll, replacing the Barron, a reference from a bygone era to a wealthy Woodbridge family, who left money for the original library, located at the corner of Rahway Avenue and Port Reading Avenue, now the Barron Arts Center.

“I think this will be a great change for Woodbridge High School,” said Mr. Lottmann “This is the start of a new beginning and a chance to create a strong reputation!”

Students throughout the building have expressed their opinions on the mascot change, most of which have been positive.

“This is all very exciting news. I’ll even volunteer to dress up as the Woodbridge Roach for pep rallies and football games!” said an overly enthusiastic freshman who ran away before giving his name.

There is still no word if the school will change its colors from red and black to something more fitting of a cockroach, but a decision is expected soon so seniors can wear the appropriate colors at graduation.