Woodbridge Seeks Reaccreditation Through Middle States Association

by Nick Bradshaw

Members of the Middle States Assocation meet with WHS advisors and coaches in the Media Center on Tuesday, March 25th.

Every seven years, the Middle States Association visits Woodbridge High School to evaluate the school’s effort to improve the overall educational experience offered to its students.

Woodbridge High School has been accredited since 1928, which shows the administration and staff’s commitment to offering a well-rounded, progressive education. Being accredited by Middle States is an honor, though the process is far from simple, and as the Middle States Commission begins their visit on March 25, 2015, the school will look to renew the prestigious accolade.

English teacher Ms. Kreisel, one of Woodbridge’s three internal coordinators for the Middle States Committee, said, “It is beneficial to be accredited because it demonstrates to the community that the school is working towards providing students with the best education possible.

“It validates that the school meets the standards and expectations that determine a quality school and that the student has received a quality education.”

In order to be accredited, a school must prove that it has conducted a self-assessment of the school, areas of improvement have been identified, and a realistic plan for improvement has been made. A school must also display evidence that the Middle States standards of excellence are being met.

Such standards include: Philosophy and Mission; Governance and Leadership; School Improvement Planning; Finance; Facilities; School Climate and Organization; Health and Safety; Educational Program; Assessment and Evidence of Student Learning; Student Services; Student life and Student Activities; and Information Resources and Technology.

During their four-day visit, the Middle States Association will tour the facilities, visit classrooms, and facilitate a number of conferences with groups ranging from the Board of Education and school administrators to teachers and staff members, students, and parents in an effort to thoroughly and fairly evaluate the school.

Woodbridge High School has 20 members on a planning committee, consisting of administrators, guidance counselors, teachers, parents, and students. This committee discusses changes that should be made at Woodbridge High School to improve the chances of being accredited.

When a school is accredited by Middle States, it reflects positively on the school, as it shows that there is a constructive, well-rounded education being provided. Meeting the standards of Middle States is an impressive feat, and it is something that Woodbridge High School has been doing for over 85 years.