School to Continue Turf Installation

by Jack Golden

Turf installed in the floor of room 304. The turf was used as a cheaper alternative to tile.

After the recent excitement over the new turf on the varsity baseball and softball fields, principal Mr. Lottmann has announced that WHS will continue their efforts to replace the natural grass fields with turf.

The first changes will occur in the back of the school where the JV baseball field and the soccer field will be turfed at an estimated cost of $500,000. Mr. Lottmann says they won’t stop there, and intend to install turf in some classrooms to cut down on the number of tile replacements needed to be made each year.

“It just seems like everyone loved the new fields in the back. We just want to continue to make our students happy,’’ said Mr. Lottmann.

However, the new fields will come with a cost. The estimated price to turn the schoool is around 10 million dollars. “The school store simply can’t sell enough ramen to cover the cost,” vice principal Mr. Connelly said.

So, to cover the cost, the administration will sell all of the new air conditioners on the third floor. “Students have lived without air conditioning on the third floor for years. I am sure they can live without it for about five more. Some students and teachers may not like this, but it is for the best,” said Mr. Lottmann.

With the new turf comes more rules. Gum chewing is the first to go, according to vice principal Mr. Chiera. “Anyone seen chewing gum will be suspended for three days. Also, everyone will have to wear the new Woodbridge High School Turf shoes, which will be sold in the school store starting in the beginning of May. Teachers included. The shoes will go for 20 dollars a pair, and they only come in red and black.”

Some students are looking forward to the changes, including junior Andrew Galvach. “I really can’t wait to see how the fields in the back come out. The varsity fields look great and hopefully these new fields will look the same. I also saw the design for the new Woodbridge turf shoes. They look absolutely insane.”

The turf should last about 25 years if cared for correctly, and the administration is serious about making it last. If anyone is caught trying to damage the turf, they will have 5 days of out of school suspension.

“I really hope our students enjoy this,” Mr. Connelly said. “Even though we are getting rid of the air conditioners, I think that students are going to respond positively when they feel that turf beneath their feet. Who knows? Maybe the athletic turf will inspire more academic competition in the classroom. It can only be a good thing.”