• Spring Musical Sweeney Todd Wins Best Overall Production at the Carteret Marquee Awards

Barrons Tackle the Playoffs

by Nick Bradshaw

The Barrons' defensive linemen prepare for the next play.
The Barrons’ defensive linemen prepare for the next play.

The Woodbridge Barrons’ Football team turned some heads during the 2014 season. The Barrons started their season off on a tough note at 0-2, but quickly turned it around.

Throughout the season, the Barrons were resilient which is something Coach Nyers is proud of. “Even though we lost our first two games by a total of eight points, we stayed in and never packed it in,” he said.

They strung together crucial wins and qualified for the playoffs. In the first round of the playoffs, the Barrons went up against the Irvington Knights, a favorite to win, and came out with a huge upset victory.

The Barrons come-from-behind win was arguably one of the greatest comebacks in school history, overcoming double digit deficits on two occasions. Coach Nyers, a 25 year veteran football coach, preached a simple message to his players. “Hard work, mental toughness, and accountability will win games,” he said.

The Barrons were voted “Most Improved Team” in the Greater Middlesex Conference, and had the fourth biggest turnaround in school history, finishing the season at 7-4. The team’s record this year was a vast improvement from last year’s 2-8.

After a successful season, Tracy Fudge, junior quarterback, is looking to build upon the team’s momentum next year. Fudge believes the Barrons have potential to compete for the state championship once again. “We’re definitely looking to build on what we did this year,” he said, “We have a lot of guys coming back.”

Look out for the Barrons in September. They’ll be the ones gunning for a state title.