Patrick Petro Scores Touchdown

Jack Golden, Sports Writer

On Friday, October 20th, the Woodbridge Barrons football team took the field for senior night with one more player.

Recently crowned homecoming king, senior Patrick Petro, was given the opportunity to dress for his final home game, and to score a touchdown.

Patrick has been the team manager for the past four years. Coach Coleman and his staff thought it would be important to get the popular student, and die-hard Barron sports supporter, a touchdown.

This was Patrick’s first time dressing for a game, and he prepared for the game against Perth Amboy alongside his teammates. Patrick walked onto the field with his family when it was time to celebrate the seniors.

After the ceremony, but before the game officially began, the Barrons lined up against the Perth Amboy defense. In one play, Patrick took the ball and ran down the sideline. With the whole crowd cheering him on, he crossed the goal line and spiked the ball.

Patrick was very proud of his teammates and his fans, though he knew nobody was going to catch him.

“It was one of the best moments to watch,” Woodbridge High School’s principal, Mr. Lottmann, said. “If you don’t smile, there is something wrong with you. No one is more deserving than Patrick.”

Mr. Lottmann went on to thank Perth Amboy and their players for making the moment happen.

Patrick’s teacher, Ms. Tulko, was very excited to watch Patrick’s touchdown on Twitter. “Patrick loves football, and I try to use football to help in his academics,” Ms. Tulko said. She said she was very proud of Patrick and what he has accomplished, not only on the football field, but in the classroom, as well.

“I was so proud of Patrick,” Woodbridge’s Athletic Director, Mr. Ward, said. “He means so much to the football team and to Woodbridge High School, overall. I thought our coaches and players were awesome in how they worked with Patrick to execute the play.”

Varsity football coach, Mr. Coleman, did not respond to requests for comment by deadline.

Patrick intends to be a vocal part of the “Bleacher Creatures” during the varsity basketball season, and will be in attendance at the varsity baseball games this spring.