Hockey Scores Big This Season

Senior+Captain+Drew+Galea+from+Colonia+High+School+takes+a+shot+against+Central+Regional+at+Winding+River+Arena.+

Photo Credit: Brittany Sa

Senior Captain Drew Galea from Colonia High School takes a shot against Central Regional at Winding River Arena.

Leandro Flores, Reporter

The hockey team has had a successful season so far being a township combined team with a record of 10-2-1. Having Colonia, JFK, and Woodbridge High School players on one team, there is more potential and a variety of players throughout the township.

The team is now coached by Coach Monticollo from Colonia and Coach Rotella from JFK. This is the first year all three high schools in the township have combined as a team.

WHS senior Travis Beni said “This season we are hoping to get the best possible record and to do well in both the state and GMC tournaments. This years team has more depth and talent than last year, largely due to the combination of the 3 schools.”

Travis also pointed out Colonia sophomore, Ryan Snyder, has a great impact on the team. “While he tends to get out of position he battles hard for the puck and isn’t afraid to skate it out of the zone.”

WHS senior Adam Godfrey, the goalie on the team, said “Personally I try to be as much of a leader on and off the ice as possible, but there is always room for improvement in every aspect. Some other goals I have are to lead this team to a GMC Championship, have a good state run, and to do everything in my power to bail out my team when necessary.”

He also added, “We stand out as a combination of all three schools and are having a very successful season and hope to continue it at a higher level as we enter the second half of our season.”

WHS senior TJ Evan, a forward on the team, said “Since it’s my senior year, I want to end it with a bang. A GMC title would mean a lot to me but even more to the team as a whole. There are teams that are combined with two but I haven’t seen one from my perspective with three schools. I think that says a lot about the team itself and the coaching staff we have.”

Thus far, the hockey team is having a very successful season and the hopes are to keep it up and compete at higher levels.