Brooke Timinski Hits 1,000 Career Points

Adam Godfrey

Brooke Timinski watches as points 999 and 1,000 drop. Timinski became the 7th girls’ basketball player to reach 1,000 career points.

Adam Godfrey, Writer

Senior Brooke Timinski became the 7th girls’ basketball player in Woodbridge High School history to reach 1,000 points in her career, exactly 28 years after her father hit the mark, on January 23, 2018.

In the first quarter of a game against New Brunswick, Brooke ran down the court and hit a floater to reach points 999 and 1,000. Her father, the Girls’ Varsity Basketball head coach, immediately called for a timeout to celebrate the milestone.

“After I threw it up, I was like, ‘Please, please, please go in,’ and when it did, I couldn’t have had a bigger smile on my face,” Brooke said. With the excitement came a sense of relief, as well. “All the stress and pressure was gone and I finally did it.”

As soon as the ball went through the netting, teammate Kelsey Savoia, senior, ran to her to congratulate her. “I knew once she hit the point, I wanted to be the first to rush and hug her because I was so happy for her,” Savoia said.

The next hug she received was from her father. “It was incredibly special to be there on the court with her, but it was also very special to look up into the bleachers and see lifelong friends, family, teachers, and amazing people from our community cheering for her,” Coach Timinski said.

“First of all,” Coach Timinski continued, “I am always proud of Brooke and that has nothing to do with basketball. As a coach, I am incredibly proud of Brooke’s accomplishments. She has worked very hard and improved every year that she has been at Woodbridge.”

Timinski’s feat attracted a huge crowd for back-to-back games, all anticipating her reaching the mark. Players from rival teams were even in attendance, hoping to witness the tremendous milestone.

During the New Brunswick game, the crowd held posters, fatheads, and even a countdown to her 1,00th point, courtesy of the younger members of the Timinski family.

Not only did Brooke hit 1,000 points on the same date as her father, but it was also against the same team, 28 years later. “It’s beyond crazy that everything was the same. I can’t put into words because it’s simply just crazy,” Brooke said.

To Coach Timinski, it hasn’t fully sunk in yet. “What are the odds? It’s almost a statistical improbability for it to occur, but it did and it means the world to me and our family.” He is also “filled with gratitude and appreciation” for the publicity and attention it has received.

Brooke’s mother is also a member of the 1,000 point club, having racked up 1,601 at Shore Regional High School. Bobby Timinski accomplished the feat twice, scoring 1,112 over two seasons at crosstown rival Colonia High School, and then 1,325 at St. Anselm College.

Brooke Timinski is the 7th Woodbridge High School Girls’ Basketball player to reach 1,000 points. She joins, in order of career points, Alex Nardoza (1,335), Jordyn Stanley (1,308), Taylor Stanley (1,170), Courtney Brodniak (1,121), Fran Montecalvo (1,103), and Denise Serrano (1,085).