Woodbridge Gets Shady

Madison Carral

Woodbridge High School students prepare for a complete loss of power. The school had their first power outage halfway through the school year.

Madison Carral, Reporter

With new AC units throughout the building, Woodbridge High School can no longer afford to pay the rising electric bill. As a result, the power company has warned WHS that they will be cutting the power permanently on April 28th.

The school has been struggling with a low budget ever since they used 75% of it on extermination treatments for the rampant cockroach problem. Now, with a higher monthly electric bill, due to teachers like Ms. Prochoren, who constantly have the air conditioning running, the school is almost out of money.

“Although we are in a tough spot right now, I think it’s right to use the money on these exterminations. It’s hard enough dealing with these our halls and staff rooms. They make me sick,” said economics teacher, Mr. Martinez.

Parents do not see the problem in the same way as Mr. Lottmann does. The main office has been receiving continuous calls from outraged mothers and fathers. “How is there no money to kill bugs and keep the school cool? It’s ridiculous,” said Ms. Sachs, mother of junior Anne Sachs.

The issue became clear with the complete power outage that WHS experienced on January 12th after missing five straight monthly payments to electrical company PSE&G. Students were dismissed early for the day and faculty scrounged up what money they could to get the power back on.

Eventually, the situation came to a point where the budget only had room for extermination or electricity. “There’s just not enough money for both, plain and simple. We figured not having electricity is better than having students share the halls with bugs,” said superintendent Dr. Zega.

To make up for the loss of electricity, teachers will begin using battery powered overhead projectors. Chromebooks will be charged overnight at neighboring schools to be brought back in the morning for use before being shipped out again at night. All students and faculty are encouraged to bring in flashlights for the halls, and book lights to attach to their desks.

In the coming years, the district plans to set aside enough money for WHS to get back their power permanently. Until then, Woodbridge High will lose electricity indefinitely on April 28th.