Smith Quits Steady Job for Hobby

Mr.+Smith+abruptly+leaves+his+classroom+after+deciding+to+quit+his+job+for+his+hobby%2C+baking.+It+had+been+a+difficult+decision+for+the+now+ex-teacher%2C+but+leaving+his+well+paying+job+was+the+obvious+choice.+

Emily Murphy

Mr. Smith abruptly leaves his classroom after deciding to quit his job for his hobby, baking. It had been a difficult decision for the now ex-teacher, but leaving his well paying job was the obvious choice.

Emily Murphy, Editor

Leaving his steady paying job to pursue a financially unsteady hobby, baking brownies for a community of questionable size and interest, was an easy decision for math teacher Mr. Smith. Despite choosing a career in teaching, he feels baking was his true calling.

“I am the artist, and baking is my art. I feel truly gifted. I know I’m amazing,” he said. “Administration actually offered me a cooking job, but I declined. My skills are far too superior for anything this school could handle.”

Although the decision was easy, teaching was still important to him.“As much as I love occasionally teaching in between class discussions on vaguely relevant topics, I feel making brownies and cookies for random groups of people who never actually ask for them is what I’m meant to do on a large-scale. My wife is very supportive. I crunched the numbers and made some spreadsheets, and I think this could pan out pretty well.”

Although he says he will miss his students dearly, the complete change in aspiration doesn’t come as a shock to anybody. Most who know Mr. Smith know how passionate he is about baked goods. “Baking is my life,” he said, an interesting quote considering he has children.

Senior Brittany Sa, who had him for Calculus AB AP and Calculus BC AP, has had the opportunity to sample his cookies on numerous occasions. Her review? “Eh.”

It’s unsure how successful he will be, but he seems confident in the business. No one is sure what the future will hold for the “professional” baker, but he seems incredibly confident.

It’s important that he maintains his immense fan group. His website is thriving with its grand total of one follower. “Shoutout to my mom,” he said.

Woodbridge High School wishes the best for teacher Mr. Smith and his business, destined for financial failure.